TMJ is a disorder of the temporomandibular joint, which hinges the lower jaw to the skull. TMJ typically causes pain in front of the ear or sometimes occurs in the form of a headache with and without neck pain.
Physical Therapy is effective for the following stages of TMJ:
- Acute Onset/Flare up
- Chronic conditions
EVALUATION AND TREATMENTS PERFORMED MAY INCLUDE:
- Modalities including: heat/ice, electrical stimulation, ultrasound
- Manual therapy including massage, soft tissue mobilization, scar mobilization, and joint mobilization
- Therapeutic exercises
Treatment Goals for TMJ Dysfunction:
- Relieve pain and swelling Correct muscle imbalances
- Improve joint mobility and mechanics
- Restore function and tolerance to daily activities
Choose Dynamic Physical Therapy for your next referral, we excel at working closely with the physician/dental team and treating each patient as an individual with one on one treatment and our outcomes show it!