Discover the Benefits of Aquatic Therapy Today
Did You Know Several Painful Conditions Can be Relieved with Aquatic Therapy?
Aquatic therapy is a type of physical therapy treatment that takes place in water, generally in an in-clinic pool.
It is also commonly known as hydrotherapy or aquatic rehabilitation and has soothing properties that can benefit you if you are seeking pain relief and relaxation.
To learn more about how our licensed Covington,LA physical therapists can assist you with aquatic therapy treatments, contact Dynamic Physical Therapy today!
What can I find with aquatic therapy sessions?
Aquatic therapy at Dynamic Physical Therapy is able to provide the following:
- Hydrostatic pressure. With its hydrostatic pressure, you’re supported and don’t have to fear falling while performing exercises.
- Buoyancy. Water has a natural buoyancy for flotation and reduces gravity on aching muscles and joints. There is less pain when you exercise in water.
- Wave propagation/turbulence. Wave propagation and turbulence allow your physical therapist to gently manipulate your body.
- Resistance. Its natural resistance can be used to increase the rehabilitation process and strengthen muscles.
- Relaxation. It provides a soothing and relaxing environment for aching muscles and joints.
- Improved Breathing. The respiratory muscles are forced to work harder during aquatic therapy, which helps you breathe better.
- Relief. It can help provide relief for many conditions, including arthritis, chronic pain, lower back pain, orthopedic injuries, sprains, strains, and tendonitis.
What’s in it for me?
Water’s natural properties set the stage for a very therapeutic environment. Did you know that aquatic therapy is a method of relief that has been practiced for hundreds of years by many cultures?
The ancient Romans and Greeks bathed in hot springs for relaxation and to improve circulation. Hippocrates believed hot springs could heal sickness.
Swiss monks were well known to use thermal waters to treat sick people. The Japanese use hot springs to treat skin problems and relieve chronic pain.
The benefits of aquatic therapy include:
- Assisting with locomotion and gait
- Improving flexibility and movement
- Improving coordination and balance
- Increasing aerobic capacity for better health
- Enhancing the healing process to decrease recovery time
- Reducing stress and promoting relaxation
- Building muscle strength and endurance
Aquatic therapy may be added to your current physical therapy treatment plan under the discretion of our Covington, LA physical therapist.
He or she will assist you in the movements that will best help you find relief.
So, how exactly does aquatic therapy work?
Aquatic therapy sessions are very organized and typically begin with a warm-up. They all take place in the water and will likely begin with gentle, low-resistance exercises to target the lower and upper extremities.
This may include brief walking and light stretches. Then they will turn to more advanced cardiovascular and core activities, such as running, squatting, arm swings, and leg swings.
After your session, you will also have some cool-down methods. In many clinics, there will be a massage hose that provides a deep tissue massage-like experience. This prevents lactic acid from building up.
Aquatic therapy is a specialized form of physical therapy that we are happy to offer at Dynamic Physical Therapy.
Our Covington, LA physical therapists recognize the positive effect of using water treatments to improve motion and functionality while simultaneously allowing your muscles to relax.
Want to get started with our aquatic therapy sessions?
If you are in Covington, LA looking for relief and relaxation, aquatic therapy will likely be beneficial to you. Request an appointment with Dynamic Physical Therapy today to get started!